Sunday, April 29, 2012

Confederate Cemetery in GA


A while back, my neighbors went out for a motorcycle ride through the county we live in. They happened upon this quaint little cemetery out in the middle of nowhere...they posted a few cell phone photos! I fell in love with this place...I am sure there are more out there somewhere BUT this is the first time I had ever seen one dedicated to the Civil War...

Before I go any farther in this post...I want to say I am NOT a racist! I do NOT condone anything that is racist. This is history and my heritage. If certain events would not have taken in the past then I would not be here today...as well as many other fellow Americans. I am from the south...as is most of my family! My belief is that its heritage NOT hate! 

I, my daughter and my Honey took a ride out to see it...I made sure I took my camera...
This little piece of history was so cool to see...it made the things I learned in school real! 
It sits back off the road...we passed right by it! We turned around and seen a small section of the sign that tells that the Sons of Confederate Veteran's maintain this cemetery. This little plot of land is in desperate need of attention...it has been neglected but that neglect adds charm. The gate that is at the entrance of the cemetery is down and the fencing around the property is need of fixing. There was poison oak growing and those spiky ball thingies that fall from trees all over the place that make it hard to walk...it’s like walking on marbles if you where regular shoes...dummy me wore flip flops (the glass slipper of the south) and those things hurt. 

The headstones were made by hand out of the heart of pine...the person that made those headstones also carved initials and dates on each one. These graves are dated in the mid 1800's...and just think my kiddo (whom was born in 2002) thinks that people born in the 1900's are old...this is what she told me one day when she asked what year I was born in and my reply was 1972! 

I thought I would share the photos of this piece of history...










1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi Tanya, my name is Mary O'Brien and I wanted to Thank You for checking out my facebook page called "1 Grandma with a Camera Photography". I went to your facebook page but seeing we are not friends I wasnt able to leave you a Thank You on that page. I got a little embarrassed when I noticed a real photographer has visited my page I do this for fun and I mainly share with family & friends. I would love any feedback you may have because I am tring to improve my work!
Oh so anyway, I got a little nosey on your facebook page and I am so glad I did becaue I LOVE your work, mostly these photos of the cemetery you did such an awesome job!!!