Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Sound of Freedom...

The Sound of Freedom comes late at night, during the day and the wee hours of the morning....
I am proud that we have a military....
I am proud that I am a military brat....
I am proud of the friends and family that are in the military...
I am proud to say I am family and friends that have fought in the wars...
Whether or not, I believe in reason of the war, I am proud that they are defending my freedoms.
BUT the Sounds of Freedom have been overwhelming the past few days...
You might be wondering how I know the sounds of Freedom?  I hear the soldiers stationed at Fort Benning, GA training.... 
You would think, I would be used to it by now. 
The past few days, the helicopters and artillery have been soooooooooooo loud.
We are being awoken at night by it...
My windows shake and rattle....
The booms are so loud at times that I 'bout jump out of my skin....much louder than a sonic boom....and more frequent than a sonic boom!
My dogs keep barking at the noise....
the neighbors dogs are barking all night long because of it...

I moved to Georgia in 2001...
I live about 35-40 miles from Ft. Benning...
The post is home to the United States Army Infantry School as well as the Army's airborne (parachuting) school. 

My moms, first husband was stationed here, before he was killed in Vietnam. 
RIP Sgt. Richard Bishop
 CO, 2ND BN, 8TH CAVALRY, 1ST CAV DIV, USARV
Army of the United States
August 03, 1938 to October 01, 1966

Fort Benning was where my mom met my dad...
He was stationed here...he fought 2 tours in Vietnam and received a Purple heart...and then later on went to the Air Force, where he worked on jets like the F-111 and the F-16. 

My Honey's dad was stationed here before he retired...
He fought in Vietnam and Desert Storm. He has battle scars and a Purple Heart.
He was a Bradley instructor....
He was also an Army recruiter...

This is my home...although I really wish it would be quiet and my sleep would not be interrupted...
I AM PROUD OF THE MILITARY and ALL THAT THEY DO!
My sleepless nights because of the noise is a small price to pay considering all the lives that have been lost over the years due to wars...I know those casualties and their families would much rather endure the noise instead of the outcome they received. I feel sooooo selfish whining about the noise....and must remind myself of the noise that soldiers hear while deployed to a foreign land is far worse. The noise keeps it real, that there really is a war going on and that my freedom is being defended! 
God bless those SOLDIERS that are fighting in the lands far away! 
God bless those families that have lost their loved ones!




No comments: