Friday, February 4, 2011

where to go????

I just finished our taxes this afternoon....
WOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOO

So, after we pay off some bills...we actually have a little extra to frivolously spend...
YAY!!!!!

We have decided to take a mini vacation, since the last vacation we have been on was to New Orleans a few months before Hurricane Katrina hit with such devastation. 
With my honey being a trucker, he has seen every state in the USA. So our choices are quite limited. 
MY suggestion was to drive down to Disneyworld on a Friday and then hit the park on Saturday and Drive home on Sunday....

We had also thought about going to Destin, Fla...
My honey and I really need some R&R so that really don't suit us either...

After us discussing what we really wanted...we feel we just want something were we can chillax...
Somewhere that has beautiful scenery...
with some kind of attractions.

We have decided to go to Helen, GA.
Wikipedia (not my favorite source of info but described it the best) had the following description...

Formerly a logging town that was in decline, the city resurrected itself by becoming a replica of a Bavarian alpine town, in the Appalachian mountains instead of the Alps. This design is mandated through zoning, so that the classic south-German style is present on every building.

Choosing this destination is right up our alley...
I know I will never go to Germany to see my heritage, although, I am so fascinated by it.
I listened to my moms stories about her homeland and I'm curious. This destination with the Bavarian culture is as close as I will get to actually going to visit anything to do with my heritage. I want Sassy to see the culture of her heritage too. I hope when she gets old enough to be on her own, she can travel far and wide. This is a small step toward her lifetime of travels. My German heritage is only half of me...the other half of me is Appalachian. How much better than this mini vacation get? One place that has my German side and my hillbilly side wrapped up in one....that is sooooo cool. 
The other reason, we chose this place is because my Honey grew up in Germany. He was an Army brat and his dad was stationed there. He talks about his life in Germany and I know he would like to visit again. This gives him a taste of Germany only stateside.

I researched places to stay...there are many cabins nestled in the woods just minutes from Helen, GA. 
There are many attractions around that area and photographic opportunities.
One of the attractions, I want to visit is the Cabbage Patch Doll Babyland Hospital. 
Cheesy...yeah I know.....
But I think Sassy will have a blast there since she is only 8...
Oh goodness... I am excited.
Oh and the other cool thing is...I will have my new DSLR camera by the time we get to go....
Oh I can't wait to take photos...
and that means Sassy can use the point and shoot...
I love looking a photos from her point of view!






No comments: