Friday, March 25, 2011

Softball

Yesterday, Sassy and me headed to the ball field like we do most every Thursday. She has ball practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Well we were informed last week that there would be a cook out and a game girls vs. parents. We had a blast. For the past few days, Sassy has looked at me with the mean face and would say..."MOM YOU ARE GOING DOWN!"
When we got there the girls started there stretches and laps. Us parents just stood around while they did that. We all did pair up and throw the ball back and forth. I can feel it in my right arm that I threw the ball a lot. LOL! The girls coaches pulled them in and had their little pep talk...then were told what position they needed to play. One of the other moms (with lots of softball experience) became the coach for the parents. She delegated the positions we played. I got to be catcher. YAY I got to hang out at home plate. Every time Sassy would get up to bat, I would tell her she wasn't gonna hit the ball. She would nail it every time. The first time she got up to bat, I didn't know I was supposed to tag her with the ball. I thought you could step on base. OH WELL, my young'un got a home run because of it. I tagged the base. She was tickled.
I didn't bat...because my shoulder still aches really bad from that fall weeks ago. I let someone else bat for me BUT I did run the bases. I even ran bases for other moms that didn't wanna run. I did get nailed in the leg with a bat. One of the girls slung the bat back when she took off to run...I hurt like a S.O.B. too...I didn't let it show. I pushed on. The umpire guy knew that it hurt me. He asked me if I needed to sit down.I wanted to BUT for the girls I didn't. I just acted like it didn't hurt... I had a blast though.
We had hot dogs, chips beans, slaw and fruit for dinner.
Overall the girls THINK they won...it was a close came. We let the girls continue to think the won. That was some good encouragement for them...nothing like practicing as a team in a real game. I am proud of the girls. These girls have drive...there are only 10 girls on the team and I am sure that we will  have to forfeit a game or two this season. They at least have a team. We were worried that we wouldn't have the 10 to play...we actually need 12 in case any of the girls miss a game, someone can fill in. I am proud that the girls are showing teamwork. That is something that is important....not whether they win or lose. These girls are learning to work together and they are having fun.
It's gonna be an interesting season. Opening day is the 16th of April. I know Sassy can't wait. I know she can't wait to get her new uniform too. I am curious to see what they are gonna look like and what number Sassy got. She requested the same number she has last year...LUCKY 7!

No comments: